Estate Management design, repair, maintain and secure all campuses. We aim to provide a seamless service to all students, staff and visitors. Covering a multitude of services, we are available to assist with any issue concerning the University estate and grounds.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Deputy Grounds Manager at the University of Essex.Duties of the role
The post holder will supervise and manage a team of Grounds Operatives, ensuring all services are delivered to a high standard. You will be responsible for day to day operation including, work allocation, machinery upkeep and adherence to Health & Safety policies and legislation. You will also be responsible for:
Skills and qualifications required
- Leading, supervising and motivating a small team of grounds staff to ensure that agreed standards of grounds maintenance are maintained.
- Monitoring the quality of grounds work done and co-ordinating systematic checks by the post holder and the Grounds Manager.
- Controlling the programmed and un-programmed contracted works managed by the Grounds Section.
- Keeping an up to date COSHH record for products used by the Grounds Section.
You will have a good understanding of working within the gardening/grounds environment, with experience operating a variety of grounds machinery and equipment and you will desire to produce a high level of service at all times. The successful candidate will also be required to have:
- GCSE Grade C, or equivalent, in English and Mathematics and 3 other subjects
- Supervisory experience within a horticultural environment
- Awareness and knowledge of Health and Safety legislation relating to grounds chemicals/materials and working practices
- An ability to communicate at all levels with good relationship building skills
- Hold a full, current Driving Licence
Whilst the following is not essential, it would be desirable if you hold an NVQ in Amenity Horticulture or equivalent and hold a certificate in NPTC City and Guilds (PA1 & PA6) pesticide/herbicide applicator.
At the University of Essex internationalism is central to who we are and what we do. We are committed to being a cosmopolitan, internationally-oriented university that is welcoming to staff and students from all countries and a university where you can find the world in one place.
Please visit our website (http://www.essex.ac.uk/vacancies/
) for a full job description, person specification and more information relating to this post. We recommend you read this information carefully before making an application. Applications should be made on-line, but if you would like advice or help in making an application, or need information in a different format, please telephone the Resourcing Team (01206 874588/873521).
Closing date: 25 February 2018
Interviews are planned for: 16 March 2018